Friday, Dec. 10 • 9:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. EST
Free Virtual Workshop
The workshop will foster dialogue among NIEHS employees, outside researchers, and members of the community to examine racism as a public health issue. The workshop seeks to:
- Raise awareness of the problem of systemic racism in America and its contributing role to Environmental Health Disparities (EHD).
- Inform the NIEHS community of current EHD research and outreach activities in Environmental Justice (EJ).
- Engage regional and local community leaders involved in EJ advocacy networks to discuss best practices for community engagement.
The social unrest and protests that erupted in 2020, helped spur the need for the American people to have serious discussions about race and the systems that have contributed to growing health disparities and disproportionate environmental exposures. In one of his first acts after being inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2021, President Biden issued an Executive Order On Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government. This directive encourages a comprehensive approach for promoting equity for all, especially people of color.
This workshop will focus on the systemic problem of racism in America and its contributing role to EHD. It will include keynote presentations and interactive panel discussions that feature national and local EJ leaders.
See the draft agenda of this free virtual workshop.
EJ Workshop Planning Committee Members
- Omega Wilson, Brenda Wilson, and Ayo B. Wilson – West End Revitalization Association (WERA)
- Naeema Muhammad – North Carolina Environmental Justice Network (NCEJN)
- Crystal Cavalier and Jason Keck – 7 Directions of Service
- Darlene Dixon (Co-chair)
- Robin Arnette (Co-chair)
- Sharon Beard
- Windy Boyd
- Toccara Chamberlain
- Kelly Chandler
- Denise Lasko
- Alfonso Latoni
- Ruth Lunn
- Liam O'Fallon
- Joan Packenham
- Melissa Smarr
If you have questions about the workshop, please contact one of the following committee members:
- Darlene Dixon
- Robin Arnette
- Sharon Beard
American Disabilities Act Accommodations Requests
Individuals with disabilities who need accommodation to participate in this event should contact Darlene Dixon at 984-287-3848. TTY users should contact the Federal TTY Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Requests for closed captioning should be made at least 5 business days in advance of the event.