Skip Navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Your Environment. Your Health.

Publication Detail

Title: Maternal arsenic exposure and gestational diabetes and glucose intolerance in the New Hampshire birth cohort study.

Authors: Farzan, Shohreh F; Gossai, Anala; Chen, Yu; Chasan-Taber, Lisa; Baker, Emily; Karagas, Margaret

Published In Environ Health, (2016 11 08)

Abstract: Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is a major pregnancy complication with detrimental effects for both mothers and their children. Accumulating evidence has suggested a potential role for arsenic (As) exposure in the development of GDM, but current studies have not assessed As exposure from water, urine or toenail samples.We investigated the association between As exposure and risk of glucose intolerance and GDM among 1151 women enrolled in the New Hampshire Birth Cohort Study. Arsenic was measured in home well water and via biomarkers (i.e., maternal urine collected ~24-28 weeks gestation and toenail clippings collected 2 weeks postpartum).A total of 105 (9.1 %) of women were diagnosed with glucose intolerance and 14 (1.2 %) of women were diagnosed with GDM. A total of 10.3 % of women had water As levels above 10 μg/L, with a mean As level of 4.2. Each 5 μg/L increase in As concentration in home well water was associated with a ~10 % increased odds of GDM (OR: 1.1, 95 % CI 1.0, 1.2). A positive and statistically significant association also was observed between toenail As and GDM (OR: 4.5, 95 % CI 1.2, 16.6), but not urinary arsenic (OR: 0.8, 95 % CI 0.3, 2.4). In a stratified analysis, the association between water As and GDM and glucose intolerance was largely limited to obese women (OR: 1.7, 95 % CI 1.0, 2.8).Our findings support the role of As exposure via water from private wells in the incidence of GDM and that this association may be modified by body composition.

PubMed ID: 27825389 Exiting the NIEHS site

MeSH Terms: Adult; Arsenic*/analysis; Arsenic*/urine; Cohort Studies; Diabetes, Gestational/epidemiology*; Diabetes, Gestational/metabolism; Diabetes, Gestational/urine; Environmental Monitoring; Environmental Pollutants*/analysis; Environmental Pollutants*/urine; Female; Glucose Intolerance/epidemiology*; Glucose Intolerance/metabolism; Glucose Intolerance/urine; Groundwater/analysis; Humans; Maternal Exposure*; Nails/chemistry; New Hampshire/epidemiology; Obesity/epidemiology; Obesity/metabolism; Obesity/urine; Odds Ratio; Pregnancy; Water Supply

Back
to Top