Skip Navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Your Environment. Your Health.

Publication Detail

Title: Accuracy of volatile urine biomarkers for the detection and characterization of lung cancer.

Authors: Mazzone, Peter J; Wang, Xiao-Feng; Lim, Sung; Choi, Humberto; Jett, James; Vachani, Anil; Zhang, Qi; Beukemann, Mary; Seeley, Meredith; Martino, Ray; Rhodes, Paul

Published In BMC Cancer, (2015 Dec 23)

Abstract: The mixture of volatile organic compounds in the headspace gas of urine may be able to distinguish lung cancer patients from relevant control populations.Subjects with biopsy confirmed untreated lung cancer, and others at risk for developing lung cancer, provided a urine sample. A colorimetric sensor array was exposed to the headspace gas of neat and pre-treated urine samples. Random forest models were trained from the sensor output of 70% of the study subjects and were tested against the remaining 30%. Models were developed to separate cancer and cancer subgroups from control, and to characterize the cancer. An additional model was developed on the largest clinical subgroup.90 subjects with lung cancer and 55 control subjects participated. The accuracies, reported as C-statistics, for models of cancer or cancer subgroups vs. control ranged from 0.795 - 0.917. A model of lung cancer vs. control built using only subjects from the largest available clinical subgroup (30 subjects) had a C-statistic of 0.970. Models developed and tested to characterize cancer histology, and to compare early to late stage cancer, had C-statistics of 0.849 and 0.922 respectively.The colorimetric sensor array signature of volatile organic compounds in the urine headspace may be capable of distinguishing lung cancer patients from clinically relevant controls. The incorporation of clinical phenotypes into the development of this biomarker may optimize its accuracy.

PubMed ID: 26698840 Exiting the NIEHS site

MeSH Terms: No MeSH terms associated with this publication

to Top