Superfund Research Program
Lead Exposure, Accumulation in Bone, and Cognitive Toxicity among Elderly Men and Women
Project Leader: Howard Hu
Grant Number: P42ES005947
Funding Period: 1995 - 2000
- Project Summary
- Schwartz J, Wright RO, Hu H. 2007. Lead levels and ischemic heart disease in a prospective study of middle-aged and elderly men: the VA normative aging study. Environ Health Perspect 115(6):871-5. PMID:17589593
- Cheng YW, Schwartz J, Sparrow D, Aro A, Weiss ST, Hu H. 2001. Bone lead and blood lead levels in relation to baseline blood pressure and the prospective development of hypertension: The Normative Aging Study. Am J Epidemiol 153(2):164-171. PMID:11159162
- Aro A, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Lee ML, Kim R, Hu H. 2000. Validation of K x-ray fluorescence bone lead measurements by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry in cadaver legs. Medical Physics 27:119-123. PMID:10659745
- Shadick NA, Kim R, Weiss ST, Liang MH, Sparrow D, Hu H. 2000. The effect of low-level lead exposure on hyperuricemia and gout among middle-aged and elderly men: the normative aging study. Journal of Rheumatology 27(7):1708-1712. PMID:10914856
- Vig EK, Hu H. 2000. Lead toxicity in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 48(11):1501-1506. PMID:11083332
- Wu MT, Demple B, Bennett RA, Christiani DC, Fan R, Hu H. 2000. Individual variability in the zinc inducibility of metallothionein-IIA mRNA in human lymphocytes. J Toxicol Environ Health A 61(7):553-567. PMID:11127411
- Tsaih S, Lee ML, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Aro A, Sparrow D, Hu H. 1999. The independent contribution of bone and erythrocyte lead to urinary lead among middle-aged and Elderly men: The Normative Aging Study. Environ Health Perspect 107(5):391-396. PMID:10210695
- Cheng YW, Schwartz J, Vokonas PS, Weiss ST, Aro A, Hu H. 1998. Electrocardiographic conduction disturbances in association with low-level lead exposure: the Normative Aging Study. American Journal of Cardiology 82:594-599. PMID:9732886
- Cheng YW, Willett W, Schwartz J, Sparrow D, Weiss ST, Hu H. 1998. Relation of nutrition to bone and blood lead levels in middle-aged to elderly men: The Normative Aging Study. Am J Epidemiol 147:1162-1174. PMID:9645795
- Hu H. 1998. Bone lead as a new biological marker of lead dose: recent findings and implications for public health. Environ Health Perspect 106(supp.4):961-967. PMID:9703479
- Hu H, Kim R, Fleischaker G, Aro A. 1998. K-X-Ray fluorescence: Measuring bone lead as a biological marker of cumulative lead dose. In: Proceedings of Biomarkers, the Genome, and the Individual: Workplace and Medical Implications of a Rapidly Evolving Technology. John Henry Press, Charleston, SC.
- Hu H, Rabinowitz M, Smith DR. 1998. Bone lead as a biological marker in epidemiologic studies of chronic toxicity: conceptual paradigms. Environ Health Perspect 106:1-8. PMID:9417769
- Korrick SA, Hunter DJ, Rotnitzky A, Hu H, Speizer FE. 1998. Lead and hypertension in a sample of middle-aged men. Am J Public Health 89:330-335.
- Payton M, Riggs KM, Spiro, III A, Weiss ST, Hu H. 1998. Relations of bone and blood lead to cognitive function: The VA Normative Aging Study. Neurotoxicol Teratol 20:19-27. PMID:9511166
- Wright RO, Hu H, Maher TJ, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Chaiyakul P, Woolf AD, Shannon MW. 1998. Effect of iron deficiency anemia on lead toxicokinetics after intravenous dosing: a rodent model. Toxicol Ind Health 14:547-551.
- Kim R, Landrigan C, Mossman P, Sparrow D, Hu H. 1997. Age and secular trends in bone lead levels in middle-aged and elderly men: three-year longitudinal follow-up in the Normative Aging Study. Am J Epidemiol 146:586-591. PMID:9326437
- Hu H, Aro A, Payton M, Korrick SA, Sparrow D, Weiss ST, Rotnitzky A. 1996. The relationship of blood and bone lead to hypertension among middle-aged to elderly men. JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association 275:1171-1176.
- Hu H, Kim R, Payton M, Korrick SA, Sparrow D, Weiss ST. 1996. The relationship of bone and blood lead to hypertension: further analyses of the Normative Aging Study data. In: Proceedings of the Pacific Basin Conference on Hazardous Waste, November 4-8, 1996, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. East-West Center, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Hu H, Payton M, Korrick SA, Sparrow D, Weiss ST, Aro A, Rotnitzky A. 1996. Determinants of bone and blood lead levels among community-exposed middle-aged to elderly men: The Normative Aging Study. Am J Epidemiol 144:749-759. PMID:8857824
- Kim R, Hu H, Rotnitzky A, Bellinger DC, Needleman HL. 1996. Longitudinal relationship between dentin lead levels in childhood and bone lead levels in young adulthood. Arch Environ Health 51:375-382. PMID:8896387
- Kim R, Rotnitzky A, Sparrow D, Weiss ST, Hu H. 1996. A longitudinal study of low-level lead exposure and impairment of renal function. The Normative Aging Study. JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association 275(15):1177-1181. PMID:8609685
- Potula V, Hu H. 1996. Occupational and lifestyle determinants of blood lead levels among men in Madras, India. Int J Occup Environ Health 2:1-4. PMID:9933858
- Proctor SP, Rotnitzky A, Sparrow D, Weiss ST, Hu H. 1996. The relationship of blood lead and dietary calcium to blood pressure in the Normative Aging Study. Int J Epidemiol 25:528-536. PMID:8671553
- Hu H, Aro A, Rotnitzky A. 1995. Bone lead measured by X-ray fluorescence: epidemiologic methods. Environ Health Perspect 103(supp.1):105-110. PMID:7621788
- Kim R, Aro A, Rotnitzky A, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Hu H. 1995. K-x-ray fluorescence measurements of bone lead concentration: the analysis of low-level data. Physics in Medicine and Biology 40:1475-1485. PMID:8532760
- Kim R, Hu H, Rotnitzky A, Bellinger DC, Needleman HL. 1995. Chronic lead exposure and physical growth parameters in a 13-year follow-up study. Environ Health Perspect 103:952-957.