Worker Training Program
Each year, the Worker Training Program (WTP) holds technical webinars, meetings, and workshops. These events address scientific, administrative, and regulatory issues related to training workers who work with and clean up hazardous materials and who respond to emergencies involving hazardous substances, including viruses like SARS-CoV-2.
NIEHS WTP COVID-19 Webinar Series: Practical Considerations for Using Portable Air Cleaners to Prevent Transmission of Infectious Aerosols Monday, August 16, 2021 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. EDT Event registration: ZoomGov link
In this webinar, participants will learn about 1) assessing ventilation systems within a building or space and 2) selection and use of portable air cleaner(s), when appropriate. Site-specific assessments are essential to determine the selection and use of portable air cleaners or if other ventilation methods are not feasible. Ventilation and filtration of indoor air are key methods for preventing the spread of COVID-19, influenza, and many other infectious diseases. Participants will learn about the difference between natural and mechanical ventilation; recommendations from American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE); and field experience in improving ventilation or using portable air cleaners to remove contaminated air from different types of work areas.
English/Spanish interpretation will be available during this webinar.
Speakers will include:
- William Bahnfleth, Ph.D., PE, FASHRAE, FASME, FISIAQ, Professor, Pennsylvania State University and Chair, ASHRAE Epidemic Task Force
- Thomas C. Smith, M.S.E.E., Mechanical Engineer and Industrial Hygienist Chair, AIHA/ANSI Z9 Ventilation Standards for Safety and Health and Chair, ASHRAE TC 9.10 Laboratory Systems
- Moderator: Jonathan Rosen, M.S. CIH FAIHA, National Clearinghouse for Worker Safety and Health Training
See our factsheet on Selection and Use of Portable Air Cleaners.
EJ and Natural Disasters/COVID-19 Virtual Town Hall Meetings
The Town Hall series is over, but you can still access the event websites.
Upcoming Awardee Webinars
Monthly WTP Awardee Update: July Monday, July 12, 2021 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. EDT Event registration: ZoomGov link
Monthly WTP Awardee Update: August Monday, August 9, 2021 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. EDT Event registration: ZoomGov link
Upcoming Workshops and Awardee Meetings
2021 Fall Awardee Meeting and Workshop October 19-21, 2021 Topic: Advancing Partnerships to Improve Worker Health and Safety
- Spring 2021 WTP Awardee Meeting and Workshop
- Fall 2020 WTP Awardee Meeting and Workshop
- Spring 2020 WTP Awardee Meeting and Emory/NIEHS Workshop
- Spring 2019 WTP Awardee Meeting and Workshop
- Fall 2018 Awardee Meeting and Opioid-Related Hazards in the Workplace Workshop
- Spring 2018 WTP Awardee Meeting and National Trainers’ Exchange