Technical Topics Related to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, the NIEHS Worker Training Program (WTP) has been conducting webinars and presentations on technical topics related to COVID-19 with a focus on protecting workers who may be at risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Addressing the Role of the Vaccine in Workplace COVID-19 Prevention: How to Weed through Misinformation, Mistrust, and Improve Worker Protection (January 14, 2021)
This webinar addressed why the vaccine will not be an immediate answer for preventing exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace and what that means for staying true to the industrial hygiene hierarchy of controls. It will help attendees to sort through information, fears, and mistrust and use it to build safer environments for workers.
- Recording - coming soon!
- Welcome(2.1MB), Amber Mitchell, Dr.P.H., NIEHS contractor
- COVID-19 Vaccine(3.8MB), Cameron Wolfe, M.D., Duke University School of Medicine
- Why I Got My COVID Shot (twice) and Why You Should Too(3.8MB), Alexander Isakov, M.D., Emory University School of Medicine
- COVID-19 Pandemic Vaccination: Protective Measures and Hierarchy of Controls(1.2MB), Lamont Byrd, International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Protecting Volunteers from COVID-19 During Natural Disaster Response and Recovery (December 7, 2020)
The NIEHS Worker Training Program presented a 90-minute webinar in partnership with the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and the Interagency Working Group on Environmental Justice, Subcommittee on Environmental Justice and Natural Disasters.
This webinar accompanied the new release of the joint AIHA/NIEHS Guidance to Protect Volunteers From COVID-19 During Natural Disaster Response and Recovery.In English:
- Welcome(2.2MB), Amber Mitchell, Dr.P.H.
- COVID-19 Background Information(826KB), Alexander Isakov, M.D.
- Overview of the New Volunteer Guidance Document(499KB), Laura Weems
- The Ecosystem of Disaster Volunteers(114KB), Lisa Orloff
- Hurricane Laura Response Brigade to Lake Charles(631KB), Debora Gonzalez
Training Best Practices in the Time of Covid-19 Webinar Series: In-Person Training Under COVID-19 – Protocols and Practices (September 18, 2020)
Training Best Practices in the Time of Covid-19 Webinar Series: Tools for Creative Engagement on Virtual Platforms (September 10, 2020)
- Introduction: Tools for Creative Engagement on Virtual Platforms(2.4MB) Demia Wright
- Incorporating Hands-On Activities During Virtual Training(1.5MB) Kevin Riley, Ph.D.
- Showing and Sharing: Demonstrating Equipment-Based Training Online(945KB) Lois Harrison
- Using Platform Tools in New Ways to Engage Environmental Career Worker Training (ECWT) Audience(149KB) Yodit Semu
- Webinar Summary(136KB)
Training Best Practices in the Time of Covid-19 Webinar Series: Setting-up Online Training – Practices & Platforms (September 3, 2020)
- Introduction: Setting-up Online Training(3.0MB) Demia Wright
- National Day Laborer Organizing Network(3.5MB) Debora Gonzales
- Webinar Summary(172KB)
Ethics for Safety and Health Professionals (August 26, 2020)
- Ethics for Safety and Health Professionals(3.3MB) Joy Erdman
- Ethics for Safety and Health Professionals(2.2MB) Bruce Lippy, Ph.D.
- COVID 19 Health and Safety Ethical Challenges in Academia(83KB) L. Faye Grimsley, Ph.D.
- Ethics for Safety and Health Professionals: International Brotherhood of Teamsters(870KB) Lamont Byrd
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) Focus on Construction Health: COVID-19
Ethical Issues around Contact Tracing/Testing in the Workplace (August 19, 2020)
- COVID-19 And Occupational Health: Law, Ethics, And Science(1.8 MB) Mark A. Rothstein, J.D.
- Structural Obstacles to Contact Tracing During the COVID-19 Pandemic(4.8MB) Seema Mohapatra, J.D.
Workplace Outbreak Investigation, Contact Tracing, and Testing: Intersection between Occupational & Public Health (August 5, 2020)
- Public Health Surveillance System for tracking and preventing transmission of COVID-19(722KB) Letitia Davis, Sc.D.
- Workers: Essential and Vulnerable COVID-19(2.3MB) Amy K. Liebman
Ethical Considerations Regarding Meat Processing Plant Operations, Worker Safety, and Community Welfare (July 22, 2020)
- COVID-19 and Meat Processing: Background and Technical Assistance(1.7MB) Jocelyn Herstein, Ph.D.
- Concerns and perceptions of COVID-19 among meatpacking plant workers(2.2MB) Athena Ramos, Ph.D.
- Ethical Considerations Regarding Meat Processing Plant Operations, Worker Safety, and Community Welfare(2.1MB) Kelly Dineen, Ph.D.
Introduction to Ethical Issues around COVID-19 and Work (July 8, 2020)
- Public Health Ethics(1.8MB) Matt Wynia, MD
- Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics(84KB) Kathy Kirkland, Dr.P.H.
- Normalizing Lies: Ethics and Protecting Workers from COVID-19(84KB) David Michaels, Ph.D.
Minimizing Workplace Exposures Through Design and Engineering Controls (July 1, 2020)
- Engineering Controls for SARS Cov-2 in the Transportation Sector(4.8MB) Andrew Comai
- Mitigating the Spread of COVID19 in the Workplace An Architect’s Perspective(4.3MB) Andrew Harte
- Overview of NIOSH Engineering and Ventilation COVID-19 Guidance(213KB) CAPT Duane Hammond
- Prevention through Design in the 2020 Workplace(2.0MB) Jonathan A. Bach
- Role of Engineering Controls for COVID-19(1.1MB) Lisa M Brosseau, Sc.D.
- The COVID-19 Pandemic and Biohazard Containment(3.5MB) Brian Sherlock
Essential Workers Train-the-Trainer (April 23, 2020)
The University of Maryland Medical Center Experience (April 15, 2020)
- Best Practices in Protecting Health Care Workers from Exposure to SARSCoV-2(879KB) Jim Chang
- Elastomeric Respirators in Healthcare: Lessons Learned and Adaptation for COVID-19(1.3MB) Stella E Hines, M.D.
- Tracking Employee Exposures to COVID-19(1.3MB) Marianne Cloeren, M.D.
Exposure Prevention for COVID-19 Essential Workers (April 1, 2020)
- Protection of Health Care and Other Essential Workers During COVID-19 Response(2.5MB) Chip Hughes
- COVID-19 Routes of Transmission and Implications for Worker Protection(1.1MB) Lisa Brosseau, Sc.D.
- Pandemic Extended Use and Reuse of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators(2.9MB) Shawn Gibbs, Ph.D.
- Preventing Mucocutaneous Exposures: PPE and Face Protection(1.3MB) Amber Mitchell, Dr.P.H.
- Essentials of COVID Occupational Health Management(352KB) Robert Harrison, M.D.
COVID-19 Train-the-Trainer (March 26, 2020)
- Online Train-the-Trainer Review and Discussion of the Training Tool(2.8MB) Jonathan Rosen
- National COSH COVID-19 Training(1MB) Peter Dooley
- Consolidated Report Back from Breakout and Small Group Discussions (morning session)(160KB)
- Using Web Conferences for Training(470KB) Mitch Rosen, Ph.D.
- Consolidated Report Back from Breakout and Small Group Discussions (afternoon session)(157KB)
- Technology Tips for Virtual Meetings and Interactive Online Sessions(171KB)
Week in Review Webinars
Week in Review (June 26, 2020)
Week in Review (June 12, 2020)
- Environmental Justice(13.8MB) Payton Wilkins
- How Systemic Racism Is Stamped in America, Robert Bullard, Ph.D.
Week in Review (April 24, 2020)
- University of Nebraska Medical Center COVID-19 Training Resources
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Ethics Advisory Committee
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Meat Processing Facility COVID-19 Playbook
Week in Review (April 17, 2020)
- Realigning Conventional Routes of Transmission; Occupational Exposure(498KB) Amber Mitchell, Dr.P.H. and Christopher Brown
Week In Review (April 10, 2020)
- Updates on SARS-coV-2 Testing, Vaccines, and Treatment(515KB) Amber Mitchell, Dr.P.H.
- COVID-19 Exposure Reduction and Control Banding(202KB) Lisa Brosseau, Sc.D.
- MassCOSH’s COVID-19 Toolkit for Essential Workers
- Lear’s Safe Work Playbook: An Interactive Guide for COVID-19 Pandemic Preparedness and Response
Week In Review (April 3, 2020)
- Data and Analysis on COVID-19 Virtual Training(422KB) Eric Persaud, Dr.P.H.(c)
- Update on Spanish COVID-19 Train-the-Trainer(1.6MB) Arturo Archila
- How We Move Forward: The Conversation as the Ground Shifts From Moment to Moment(293KB) Darryl Alexander
Week in Review (March 27, 2020)
Protecting Infectious Disease Responders During the COVID-19 Outbreak Workshop
Emory University Woodruff Health Sciences Center, in conjunction with the NIEHS WTP, sponsored a workshop on Protecting Infectious Disease Responders During the COVID-19 Outbreak on March 17, 2020. Presentations can be found on the workshop page.