Superfund Research Program
- 252 - Bioavailability Changes in Sediments and Bioaccumulation in Fish -- Ghosh
Release Date: 12/02/2015
Changes in uptake of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in fish after remediation of their aquatic environment may be predicted, according to researchers at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. They measured freely dissolved concentrations of PCBs in water and applied mathematical models to predict the effectiveness of sediment remediation. The study is one step toward understanding how PCB bioavailability changes in sediment as a result of activated carbon amendments, a method to sequester PCBs, can influence transfer of PCBs to fish.
- 197 - Poplars are Choosy about PCBs -- Schnoor
Release Date: 05/04/2011
Could trees be the world's biggest vacuum cleaners? Scientists study how poplar trees help clean up some polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and reduce the risk of human exposures.
- 192 - Discovery of the Key to Metal Accumulation in Plants -- Schroeder
Release Date: 12/01/2010
Plants that take up hazardous metals can help clean up polluted soils, but they also can become a route of human exposure when edible crops take up pollutants. Researchers are deciphering how plants take up metals in order to better control the process.
- 191 - Portable Biosensing Systems -- Daunert
Release Date: 11/03/2010
A team of scientists deploys bacterial detectors that light up in the presence of contaminants such as arsenic and zinc. In spore form, the bacteria can survive extreme conditions and be resurrected in minutes.
- 184 - Linking Site Specific Contaminant Mixtures to Biological Responses -- Anderson
Release Date: 04/05/2010
New tools could help Superfund site managers evaluate the nuances of chemical mixtures and identify the most pressing threats to ecosystem and human health.
- 171 - An Integrated Approach to Assess Sediment Toxicity -- Donnelly
Release Date: 03/04/2009
- 166 - Understanding Dermal Exposure - a Critical Step in Exposure Assessment -- Nylander-French
Release Date: 10/01/2008
- 79 - A Cellular Biosensor to Detect Chlorocatechols -- Daunert
Release Date: 07/03/2001
- 65 - Toxicokinetics of Volatile Organic Compounds -- Kalman
Release Date: 04/05/2000
- 50 - Bioavailability of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in the Diet -- Kleinow, James
Release Date: 07/14/1999
- 45 - Improving the Understanding of Contaminant Bioavailability in Soils -- Ghiorse, Lion
Release Date: 05/05/1999
- 33 - The Effect of Contaminant Aging in Soils on Bioavailability -- Alexander
Release Date: 11/11/1998
- 23 - Bioaccumulation and Biomagnification of Metals in Lakes -- Folt
Release Date: 06/24/1998
- 2 - Advances Made in Determining Fate and Bioavailability of PAH in Soil -- Pfaender
Release Date: 08/20/1997